[oletrucks] 400/402

To: "Ole_Trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 400/402
From: mark@noakes.com
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 16:50:49 -0800 (PST)
I thought I remembered seeing a 400 big block in the trucks and so I checked
several
books I have and got disagreeing results:

The book Chevy Pickup Trucks says that the 402 big block debuted in trucks in
1970 but
was badged as a 400.  Looking at the pictures that go with the description, the
engine
in this truck is definitely a big block; you can tell by looking at the
heads/valve
covers if nothing else.

However the book Catalog of Chevy Truck ID Numbers 1946-1972 lists a 400 for
70-72 but
also lists a 402 for 72...ie, the 400 and the 402 existed at the same time as
if the 400
was the small block and the 402 the big block.

Chevrolet Small-Block V-8 ID Guide lists that the 400 small block was first
available in
1970.

I also found several references on the web to the 400/402 big block.

It sounds like both were available and so it will be hard to guarantee which
engine it
is unless you look at and compare the valve covers/heads/etc and/or get the
numbers off
the engine and look it up.

Mark Noakes