[oletrucks] Re: Power steering upgrade - follow up questions/answers

To: wits_end@worldnet.att.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Power steering upgrade - follow up questions/answers
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 23:39:38 -0600
Harry:

To answer your questions:
1.) On my truck the front shocks lean forward at about a 45 degree angle.
Is that the same on your '56?  You said you moved the top shock mount back
so it was just behind the centerline of the wheels.  In my case it seems
that would shorten up the shock quite a bit.  Did it effect your shock
length much?
Yes, my front shocks angle forward, and you have to reposition the driver's
side shock because the power steering gear box mounts where the shock was on
the frame.  I ground off the rivet heads and drove out the rivets.  When it
came time to reposition the shock, I did a mock-up with all the parts
(including the new steering shaft from the column to the gear box) to make
sure nothing interfered and I could get the shock on and off with everything
installed.  I tried to match the original angle (only reversed towards the
back of the truck) when repositioning the upper shock mounting plate to the
frame.  I also measured to assure the shock travel length was similar for
both sides.  Once satisfied that everything was O.K., I drilled and finished
the shock mounting plate installation with grade 8 bolts and hardware (grade
8 may be overkill, but I don't want anything braking while I'm driving).

2.) On my truck the inner fender well sheet metal pretty much follows the
frame. It seems that the connection between the steering column and the new
steering box would run right into the sheet metal.  Did you have to modify
your inner fender other than just to accept the power steering hoses?
Yes, and since I had the driver's side fender and inner fender off the truck
the whole conversion went easier (lots of room to work), and allowed me to
take my time cutting and trying the inner fender several times until I was
satisfied with the looks.  You will need to make a cut for the new steering
shaft from the column to the gear box and provide some relief for the power
steering hoses from pump to gear box and return.  As a suggestion, once
you've cut the inner fender for the power steering hoses, consider cutting a
piece of rubber fuel line or small diameter heater hose lengthwise and
either glue to the metal or drill a series of small holes and use plastic
tie wraps to hold the hose in position.  This will insulate and protect your
hoses from chafing or rubbing a hole in the hose(s) due to the sharp edge on
the inner fender you just cut.

3.) Finally, how do you like the upgrade after putting some miles on your
truck?  Still happy with it?
While I'm very happy with the conversion, I have to tell you I'm thinking of
removing the stock front suspension and replacing with an independent front
suspension (IFS) this winter.  I found that I'm just not happy with the way
the truck handles at interstate speeds (70MPH+).  Even though the suspension
is tight and in alignment, it tends to 'wander' (side-to-side) at high
speeds. I played with the front springs and shocks to stiffen/soften the
suspension thinking that may be the problem and while the truck is not
unsafe, I just think I need something a little better. I also noticed I lost
a little of the original turning radius from mounting the steering gear box
on the outside of the frame rail.  Not much, but just enough that I notice
it when I pull out of my driveway and have to make a tight turn to get on
the street.  The winter before the steering conversion I had a power brake
conversion done and spent way too much time this summer messing with the
front drum brakes to get the truck to stop consistently in a straight line
(again, not unsafe but just not what I expected).  I think installing an IFS
with power rack and pinion steering, disk brakes, and coil-over shock/spring
combination will give me the ride, handling, turning radius and stopping
consistency I want.

Bottom line, do what your heart (and wallet) will allow.  There are many
trucks running and driving well with their original suspensions. I will be
doing a lot of cruising next summer and want a little better than what I
have right now.

Sorry for the lengthy reply.  Hope this information helps.  Good luck with
your plans!!

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL