[oletrucks] BB Missing Serial Number?

To: "Old Truck List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] BB Missing Serial Number?
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 09:05:59 -0800
This engine year may be a bit off topic but I have a question about an engine
serial number for the big block folks.  I'm transplanting a 454 from a '89
Chev 1 ton into my "older" Chev pickup.  I finally got all the serpentine and
TBI stuff stripped off.  I wire brushed the area where the serial number is
supposed to be (pass front of block) and it's blank (it really is).  This
motor is supposed to be original (60,000 miles on it) and it sure appears so
during the disassembly process (everything [seals etc] looks stock).  I can
only assume (danger!) that it has been overhauled (?) and the block decked
removing the serial number.  Or there was some lower end problems during the
warrantee period and a reman short block was installed???  My question is: are
some big block motors without serial numbers?  I wouldn't think so.  I'm also
suspicious of it being stock because the inside of the block is **very**
clean.  However the valves in the heads look like they have 60,000 miles on
them.  Anyway, it's not that big of a deal given I'm doing a complete
disassembly and checking everything for specs (and doing several mods), I'm
just curious to know what it is (year, etc.).  Are there date codes on the 454
(this is a Mark IV)?  That may help me identify it's pedigree.  I'll check the
casting number when I remove all the gunk.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions!

Allen in Seattle