[oletrucks] Cab Rust

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Cab Rust
From: "Neil Temple" <ntemple46@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 19:28:19 -0800
I have finally gotten some free time to work on my cab (46-2 ton).  I have
stripped it to its shell and have found the rust to be worse than originally
anticipated.  I am teaching myself to weld and do body work so I feel like I
can handle the small holes from the PO and the rusted lower cowls, as they are
fairly flat, and hidden behind the fenders.  My problem is in the belt line.
I have several rust-through portions, and know that there is likely rust
between the lower and upper cab layers all along the belt line.  I don't feel
like I have the expertise to patch sections of this as it is a hard piece to
recreate, and welding it in without distortion is next to impossible on the
big flat areas behind the cab.  I have gotten estimates from professional
shops that are way out of my budget.  So....I ask for a couple of things.
Anyone with a 41-46 cab shell in good shape that they are willing to part
with.  Or ideas as to how I might be able to neutralize the rust that is there
(pour some POR 15 down the seam), and then patch over the rust through
portions with another product (POR 15 trunk repair kit)???  Keep in mind that
this will be a driver, and that my budget is limited.  Any advice would be
appreciated.  I am stuck, and want to get my truck back on the road...soon!!

Thanks Neil

P.S.  I wired up the engine and it runs great.  So nice to hear that sound
after 2 years in pieces.  I also ran brake lines.  Basically all that is left
now is the bodywork and interior.