Re: [oletrucks] donar truck price

To: <ItBHarsH@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] donar truck price
From: "Steve Hanberg" <Steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 22:33:54 -0800
The bolt pattern on the rear from a '67 Chevelle is not going to be the same
as the bolt pattern on the front of the '76 pickup.  There are ways to deal
with that issue, but its an important issue to consider.

As for the width issue, I don't have a '76 available to measure.  I considered
using the rear from my '72 Chevy pickup, and determined that it was very close
to the same width as the axle that was under my '55 1st Suburban.  I don't
recall the exact measurements.

I later discovered that the rear under the sub was both bad, and was not
original...  I used the 10 bolt rear from a '73 Chevelle wagon, which I think
is a good fit, and because it was a wagon it had 11 inch finned brake drumns
that both look cool, and seem to offer plenty of stopping power.

And brakes are another reason to consider using both the front suspension and
rear axle from a single source is that you know the brakes will match.  The
newer truck may weigh more than the old truck, but you know the balance front
and rear is correct, and if you use the porportioning valve from the parts
truck, you'll know its correct for the brakes.

On my Suburban I used front and rear brakes, combination valve and master
cylinder either from, or spec'd for that same Chevelle wagon.  I had some
pedal problems, but this those cleared up, I love how it stops.

Someone else mentioned that if you have time and patience to take the truck
apart, $250 is a pretty reasonable price.  That's about what I plan to pay for
a parts truck I've identified, but which the owner is relunctant to part with.

But if you have time and patience, you might think about waiting for a better
deal.  Over the past five years or so I've dragged home two parts vehicles and
one driver for one dollar each.

Its late and I'm getting long-winded...

Steve@OldSub.com
1954 Chevrolet 3100