[oletrucks] Off-topic : opinions on early Chevy 350 diesel motors from

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Off-topic : opinions on early Chevy 350 diesel motors from
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 13:30:01 EST
   Ok, to make it <barely> relevant to the List ; has anyone ever put a
diesel motor in their old classic truck ? :D  Ok, that said, the wife needs a
full-sized van, and found out about an '83 Chevy van that has the 350 diesel
motor in it. I've gone to a few websites on Chevy diesel engines, and know
that this era ( '78 up to '85 ) was prone to blowing head gaskets, rusting
injector pumps, etc. Has anyone on the list owned one, and have good/bad
things to say? One of the diesel Forums had a running Thread about how
they're junk, whereas the truly "diesel" guys who've driven both big and
small trucks with them, said alot of times it's how the engine is taken care
of ( MUCH more frequent oil changes at 1,500 miles, gas treatment to prevent
wax buildup in cold, ignition timing CRITICAL, etc. ), so there seems to be
good and bad about opinions. I'm not sure I want a diesel, especially if it's
going to sit alot without use, and require more "attention" to detail ( I'm
NOT detail-oriented, BTW ). So I want opinions on the Chevy 350 diesel
itself, especially from the early 80's era, if anyone has relevant info on
them as far as operation in cold ( I'm in northern Virginia, not North
Dakota, LOL ), cost of frequent oil changes and other necessities, etc, vs.
savings in fuel costs, no tuneups, etc. Thanks to any and all replies both
for and againest. AMC ya,

Jerry
'55 Chevy TF Suburban project
'78, 74, 72 Gremlins