Re: [oletrucks] What shifter for a Saginaw 4-spd in a 51 Chevy?

To: MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] What shifter for a Saginaw 4-spd in a 51 Chevy?
From: "Perry Smith" <perigrinephalkon@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 22:34:38 -0700
Kevin any big truck crome shop will have extensions that you can use to
extend the length of the shaft and angle it to, thats what I did to the one
in my wrecked GMC

Perry
Phooenix az

From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 17:05:02 -0600

I mounted the engine (Chevy 305 HO) and transmission in the '51 Chevy
3100 over the weekend, but the vehicle didn't come with a shifter and
linkage (apparently the one that had been in the truck was pretty cobbed
together so the previous owner sold it since he was planning on
inserting the Olds 307 and turbo 350 and therefore didn't need it).  I
need some advice on what to use.  Hurst has a nice inexpensive setup for
a 3-speed truck, but you have to dig deep for any info on a 4-speed
"universal" setup for a pickup from them and then it requires you to buy
the shifter and linkage separate for over $300.  I'm in a low buck mode
right now so I am looking for alternatives (I'm only in to the truck for
$900 right now so I hate spending over $300 on a shifter).  On eBay I
can find several factory saginaw shifters with linkage for not much
money (from Camaro's, Nova's and Vega's) but I know that the shifter is
going to be too short.  Has anybody used a car shifter in their truck by
just mounting a longer shift handle?  If so does it make the throw
excessively long?  Thanks.

Kevin brown
Odessa, MO