[oletrucks] '51 Chevy Progress - Or "life's little victories"!

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] '51 Chevy Progress - Or "life's little victories"!
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 13:17:27 -0600
Here is an update on the '51 that I bought a few weeks ago.  If you
recall, it was a street rod with a 283 and a 4-speed that had blown ab
engine and been sitting for 8 or 9 years.  I recently spotted it on eBay
and bought it for $900 (here's a link to a picture of it sitting on my
trailer:  '51 Chevy Front
<http://home.sprintmail.com/%7Emgtrautoxr/_uimages/51ChevyFront.JPG>
When I got it the 283 was long gone, but it came with a complete Olds
307 V8 4-bbl engine and turbo 350 transmission, a Chevy 307 and the
"original Saginaw 4-speed plus bellhousings for both the Olds and Chevy
engines.

After discussions with members of this group, I decided to go with the
chevy 307 and the 4-speed (the Olds turbo 350 won't fit the Chevy engine
and the truck was set up for a 4-speed anyway).  From a review of the
various casting numbers on different web sites it turns out that the
Chevy 307 is from and '84 Camaro and its the HO version with the 58 cc
heads (250 hp and 275 lbs of torque), the 4-barrel manifold is from a
'66 Chevy car 327, the bellhousing is from an early 60s Chevy V8.  Two
weeks ago I managed to find all the pieces to bolt up the clutch,
bellhousing and transmission and drop them in to the truck.  I managed
to fit them in even with the grill in place, but it was a tight fit.  I
managed to find all of the pieces to the motor mounts (which have
horizontal brackets welded to the frame) and bolted those to the block
and everything fit right in place, the engine sits nice and low and is
up nice and tight against the firewall.  The engine didn't have a water
pump so I picked up a standard Chevy long water pump from the local auto
parts store for only $21 but as soon as I bolted it up I could see that
the crankshaft pulley (which did not appear to be original would not
bolt up since it was too short.  I had a longer pulley that cam with the
truck but it was bent and none of the Olds engine pulleys would fit.
 Also this engine was missing the alternator and mounting brackets and
the Olds ones wouldn't fit there either.

So I made a visit to a local junkyard that is about 5 miles down the
road from me - it is still one of these outfits that let you wonder
around on your own and take off what you need.  I managed to get a
matched set of water pump and crankshaft pulleys, an alternator and
mounting brackets and a heavy duty 8 blade thermostatically controlled
viscous coupling fan along with all of the mounting hardware from a '79
1-ton GMC van for only $35!  Plus it was all in great shape with no
rust.  Though I was a little concerned that it would all fit behind the
radiator that came with my truck.  Everything mounted right up to the
water pump and block just like it was supposed to fit there but the fan
and viscous coupling stuck out so far that I thought that there was no
way in heck that the radiator would fit in to place.  But just for the
heck of it I tried it anyway and slipped right in and sits about 1 inch
in front of the viscous coupling just like everything was designed all
as one package, plus the fan is just the right width for the radiator, I
couldn't believe it - definitely one of life's little victories!  The
radiator is not original, it bolts up to the original mounts and sits
partially inside them, it all fit so well that it made my whole day!

I did find out later in the day that the guy I got the truck from is
having trouble getting the hood back from the guy he used to work for
(he was storing it there since he had sand blasted it).  But while I was
at the junk yard getting the pulleys I noticed a Chevy AD thrice stashed
back behind some trees.  I forgot to look at it and when I stopped on
the way home a couple of days ago to look at the hood they had a car
crusher set up in that area so I couldn't go look at it.  The guy
running the place said I could come back today, since they wouldn't be
crushing, and take a look and that he would sell me the hood for $50 to
$75 depending on condition.  So I will check it out later this morning.
 Take care.

Kevin Brown    '51 Chevy 3100
Odessa, MO    '49 Chevy 3600 wrecker