[oletrucks] PerTronix Ignition Vs. Standard GM HEI vs . Stock setup

To: oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] PerTronix Ignition Vs. Standard GM HEI vs . Stock setup
From: dave@juniorbaseball.com
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 22:44:37 -0500
Hi Truckazoids:
Dave here, with Dusty's 1950 GMC, which has a 1955 235 ci Chevy six in it. The
new carb has not changed the intermittant hard starting. Next try is the
ignition system. I've looked the "Flame Thrower" setup by PerTronix (used by
some members here), as well as the Stock GM HEI from later vehicles. In real
world use, do these two compare equally, or is one superior? How about just
going with a stock new cap, rotor, condensor, plugs, and coil? Do plug wires
really go "bad"?
  I want my kid to be able to drive his truck to school and out at night, and
not get that call at midnight, "dad, my truck won't start."
  Any input will be greatly appreciated. - Dave
dave@juniorbaseball.com