[oletrucks] Rear Axle Dilemma

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Rear Axle Dilemma
From: "Richards, Troy" <trichards@hrgreen.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:55:29 -0600
 I have 3 rear axles that I can use on my '52 Chevy project. One is a 12
bolt from a '70 Impala, one is from a dodge dart, and I have the original.
The Impala rear axle is to wide, to use it I will have to narrow the housing
and get new axles. The gears are 2.56:1 so I'd probably want to change them
to 3:55's or 3.73's   I'll have almost $500 into the axle before the gear
change if I go this route.
 The other option is to get adaptors for the Dart axle that will let me run
Chevy bolt pattern wheels on it. This is the cheaper option, $80 for the
spacers/wheel adaptors. This will also give me the width I want and allow me
to run the 10" wheels
 Another option may be to run the torque tube, get 3:55 gears from Patrick's
and his adaptor for a Muncie. I have the Muncie and will probably use it no
matter what rear axle I use. The reason I'm leaning away from the original
is the width. I want to run 15x10's and the original is to wide to do this.
 Oh, I'll be rebuilding/hopping up a 235 I have so blowing out the rear end
isn't a huge concern.

Ugh, To many moving parts!! Anyone have a suggestion?

 Troy

Troy Richards
Network Administrator