Re: [oletrucks] dressing for the cold?

To: "K Ohlgren" <kjohlgren@hotmail.com>, MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] dressing for the cold?
From: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 08:28:01 -0700
Actually, troops, my late wife was from Eau Claire WI. I met her in the
winter of 1958 when I was working for an aerial survey company as a aerial
mapping photographer. But my collateral job was helping an engineer bring
control in to our project from benchmarks up on hills and mountains. (The
locals called them mountains-back home in Oregon they would have been
hills!) Anyway, being out on hilltops in 30 below weather was not fun, even
when you're 21 and fearless; spelled DUMB. We used what was called a
"Telerumeter" (SP), basically a master and remote radar. Pretty accurate,
especially when bringing in control from ten miles away. Anyway, these units
were composed of wiring and tubes. We had a heating unit built into the
case, and also used a Coleman lantern with a shroud under the units. But at
30 below, the little electrons would get cold and quit after abt 5-6
minutes. Seriously. But the neat part of the story is I got to drive a 58 4
wheel drive Chevy Suburban up hill and down dale, including "Cat" roads.
What more could a young ex-sailor ask for? After 8 months of all this fun,
during which I worked jobs in Oregon, Montana, CA., WI, and Washington
State, and was home a total of 4 days, I went back into the navy so I
wouldn't have to travel so much!!   Bob K in PHX, AZ.