[oletrucks] Brakes, again...

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, <Old-Burb-club@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [oletrucks] Brakes, again...
From: "Steve Hanberg" <Steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:49:31 -0800
Seems like brakes are a recurring theme for me...

The brake pedal on my 55.1 GMC Suburban went down about twice as far as normal
recently, almost to the floor.  One time it was fine, the next was a bunch
different.  I pulled the transmission cover so I could get at my dual-master
to start trouble-shooting.  The small chamber was very low on fluid.

I topped it off, and then had my son pump up and hold the peddle down, while I
looked underneath for leaks.  Since I make the brake lines myself, I expected
to discover one of my flared ends had failed.  What I found was fuild running
down the back of the master cylinder.

This is a new (rebuilt) master cylinder just a few months ago.  Apparently the
lid isn't fitting tight enough to keep the fuild in.

Could something else be going on here?  I've watched fuild fountain up when
the pedal is released, but I'm surprised to have it leaking out.  I'm thinking
I need to get a new gasket, and perhaps even use two gaskets to be sure its
tight enough.

But this solution seems too simple, and I'm afraid I'm missing something.
Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Steve@OldSub.com
1954 Chevrolet 3100