Re: [oletrucks] 4.2 I-6

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 4.2 I-6
From: mark@noakes.com
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 15:49:12 -0800 (PST)
I would also take to task the reliability of the Jeep 4.0 (or is it 4.2?).  My
wife has
one in her 97 Wrangler Sahara.  At only 27Kmiles on the first engine, it  blew
the
bottom end out while she was on a trip.  Chrysler replaced it w/o a word (and
never
would tell us exactly what happened), but it took them two weeks to do it...and
this was
all out of town.  The second engine is up to 53K miles and is ok, but it does
tend to
run lower on oil pressure than I am happy with per my GM based prejudices.
Checking
into all this, I've since heard that these engines have reliability problems
exactly
along these lines.

However, I thought that the original question was more along the lines of
swapping an
EFI system from an engine of the approximate displacement to one of the
original style
engines instead of a complete engine swap.  Somewhere I ran across a web site
for a
company that did just that, and they would convert period type multiple carb
setups or
port injection manifolds per what ever you want...$$$, of course.  I've lost
track of
the site but you could find it again by searching out do-it-yourself FI and
checking the
links.

Mark Noakes