[oletrucks] Re: Brake Line Adapters

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Brake Line Adapters
From: Joe Way <joe@brakecylinder.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 21:57:46 -0800
On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 21:43:23 -0700, you wrote:

>Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 22:26:30 -0500
>From: "Mike Boteler" <boteler@olg.com>
>Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Brake Line adapters?
>
>A question to the group,
>
>Are there any concerns with changing the brake line sizes?  I thought that
>there needed to be a certain amount of fluid flowing to the
>calipers/cylinders to get them to work right.  Aren't the lines and
>calipers/cylinders pre-engineered as a matched system?
>
>Mike Boteler
========================
Line size is not a big deal, Mike. Now, I wouldn't want to see 3/16"
line used in a truck with 1-1/2" master and wheel cylinders, but in
light trucks and cars most any size tube will pass enough fluid to do
the job. Assuming proper shoe adjustment, it doesn't take a lot of
fluid to move the shoes/pads.

The really critical matchup is between the diameter of the master
cylinder bore and the diameters of the wheel cylinders/calipers. Even
there, though, there is room to play. For instance, late '40s and
early '50s Mopars all used the exact same brakes and cylinders at the
wheels. Regular cars got 1-1/8" masters, while limos, hearses and
ambulances got 1" masters. That gave the big cars 12-1/2% more braking
power for the same pedal effort, at the cost of 12-1/2% more pedal
travel. This did make brake shoe adjustment more important, but these
big cars usually got much better maintenance than smaller cars.

All manufacturers do the same thing, usually varying the wheel
cylinder/caliper size while leaving the master constant. Same
difference.

Joe
--
Heather & Joe Way