[oletrucks] Help with TDC/UDC

To: "Oletrucks List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Help with TDC/UDC
From: "Antonio Tijerino" <antonio@tijerino.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:00:22 -0700
Hello list:

I need help and please pardon my ignorance. I got a new distributor for
my truck (Langdon's HEI) and forgot to mark when I removed the original.
The instructions tell you to find TDC in order to install the
distributor.
I have a book that tells you how to do this by manually cranking the
engine until intake valve No 1 closes, then continue to crank until
piston one is at the top of its stroke (TDC/UDC I imagine). The book
goes onto stating that this can be verified by watching the timing
indicator opening on the clutch housing directly above the starter until
the U/C marking on the flywheel is aligned with the pointer. Here is the
part that confuses me: The flywheel has five distinct marking, A
triangle, two vertical lines evenly spaced a circle and another vertical
line (Clockwise order).
My question is which one of these marking is the U/C the book refers? Is
this the same as TDC/UDC?

Thanks,

Antonio
'53 3100