[oletrucks] Starter problems

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Starter problems
From: "Doug Wathor" <Wathor@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:12:59 -0800
(First-time poster...)

I'm restoring a 56 1/2 ton truck. I'm at the starter now and having a
difficult time with the foot switch mounted on top of the starter. I had
both the motor contact and the battery contact well insulated and raised a
bit from their normal positions. However, I then realized that this
prevented the sliding gear from traveling all the way out on the starter
shaft, to engage the flywheel, when stepping on the switch to start the
engine. So, I took out the extra insulating washers on both the motor
contact and the battery contact so they are back where they were originally.
But, now the contact plate will only contact the battery terminal and not
the motor terminal, and the sliding gear is still prevented from traveling
the last 1/4 inch or so to the full-out position.

So, do I grind down the battery terminal so that the contact plate will
contact both the battery terminal and the motor terminal, as well as allow
full travel of the sliding gear? Or, do I raise the motor terminal so that
the contact plate can touch both simultaneously, and not worry about the
sliding gear going all the way out on the motor shaft? Thanks.

Doug Wathor
1956 Chev. Truck (under restoration)
1963 SW Corvette (restored)