[oletrucks] Replacement rear for '49 3600

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Replacement rear for '49 3600
From: JohnHuntD@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 23:04:22 EST
Gentlemen,

I'm restoring and 'modernizing' a '49 Chevy 3600 3/4 ton longbed pickup that
now has the stock 4:56 to 1 rear end and 8-bolt wheels. This beast has a top
speed of only about 45 MPH, and I'd like to either swap the complete rear end
(from drum to drum) for a later unit with a gear ratio in  the 3.06 to 3.55:1
range; or swap the current stock differential 'pumpkin' with one with a 3.06
to 3.55:1 axle ratio IF there is a later model pumpkin with higher lower
numerical gears that will interchange without modification. Two questions I'd
very much appreciate advice on:

1) Is there a later model Chevy or other General Motors car or truck rear end
that can be swapped into my pickup without having to relocate and reweld the
spring mounting perches to line up with the stock '49 springs? I don't mind
modifying the back end of the stock '49 driveshaft if a later rear-end has a
different u-joint than the '49, but if there's an otherwise bolt-in later
model rear-end that would fit my truck I'd like to know about it.

2) I've been told that some Chevy pickups up into the early 1970's used a
differential pumpkin that interchanges with my '49 pumpkin. If so, does
anybody know what years and models it might be in?

I'd very much appreciate any e-mail responses to me directly at
JohnHuntD@aol.com.

Many thanks in advance.

John Doak in Baltimore, MD