[oletrucks] AD Frame width

To: "j-mann" <j-mann@pacbell.net>,
Subject: [oletrucks] AD Frame width
From: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:06:41 -0800
j-mann and I have been discussing this offline, and now that I have an
answer I thought I'd share it with everyone.  I'm sure we aren't the only
people who have ever wondered...

The question related to the width of the frame.  We both wondered if there
was a difference in width between half-ton and three-quarter-ton trucks.
I'm sure someone somewhere told me they were different.

Well I just dug out my Assembly Manual and compared the frame checking pages
for both trucks.  What I found surprised me, because I thought the
difference in width was at the front.  What I've found is that the spec for
the frame is the same width at the axle centerline on both size trucks (28
inches).  Both also have the same spec at the front end of the frame (25.5
inches).

The frame width further back is where the difference lies.  One the half-ton
the frame rails become parallel behind the rear axle.  On the three-quarter
the rails become parallel just in front of the second pair of running board
brackets.

The numbers are small and hard to read, but it looks like the rear of the
half-ton is 46 inches wide and the three-quarter is 36 inches wide.

So if you are building a pro-street AD truck, you might want to start with a
three-quarter ton truck...

I hope I'm not the only one interested in this information.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com
'54 Chevrolet 3100
'55.1 GMC Suburban