Re: [oletrucks] Turn signal wiring questions

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Turn signal wiring questions
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 15:23:22 -0600
The wiring you describe sounds pretty normal.  Remember that this
switch has to integrate the brakes and flasher to the right bulbs,
and not turn on the front signals with the brake lights.

The wires through the flasher and through the brake light switch
provide the power for the lights.  Two prong flashers are pretty
common, I think even Wal Mart has them.  Certainly any FLAPS will.

There is an independent wire out for each bulb.  This lets the switch
run each bulb separately (remember that you don't want the front
lights to go on when you step on the brake and you don't want the
turn signal to go out when you step on the brake.)

The 7'th wire is probably the ground for any indicator bulbs you
have built into the switch.

As for the colors, they could mean most anything.  The standard GM
setup for more modern cars is that light blue and dark blue go to
the front bulbs, green and yellow go to the rear bulbs.  Red is probably
to the brake light switch and black is probably to the flasher.

The flasher can be hooked up either way with full power (I almost
said 12 volts) to one side and the turn signal switch on the other.
Same with the brake light switch.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but this should help the basics of
how it works.

Bruce K
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

At Sunday, 30 March 2003, you wrote:

> [...]
this truck
>and finding the turn signal wiring was a mess, and several of the
connections
>don't make sense to me. My trusty "How to Wire Your Streetrod" booklet
has a
>page illustrating a sample aftermarket turn signal kit wiring diagram
"for
>illustration only", but is vague on a couple of wires and where
they go and
>how the flasher unit should be wired up. I'd appreciate advice on
where the
>following wires go:
>
>Coming out of the turn signal mechanism on the steering column,
there are
>seven wires:
>
>Yellow and green wires which I believe go to the left and right
front turn
>signals lamps.
>
>Orange and brown wires which I believe sgo to the left and right
rear turn
>signals lamps.
>
>A red wire - The "How to wire your Streetrod" booklet says that
depending on
>the make of the aftermarket turn signal kit this may go to the stoplight

>switch, although I don't see why. I usually associate red wires in
>aftermarket electrics with being connected to a fused block or other
hot wire
>to power the unit. Where should the red wire from the turn signal
mechanism
>on the column go?
>
>A black wire - The "How to wire your Streetrod" booklet says that
depending
>on the make of the aftermarket turn signal kit this may go to the
turn signal
>flasher unit, although it doesn't specify which terminal on the
flasher unit.
>My experience is a black wire usually is a ground wire. Where should
the
>black wire from the turn signal mechanism on the column go?
>
>A blue wire - The "How to wire your Streetrod" booklet says that
depending on
>the make of the aftermarket turn signal kit the blue wire may go
to the
>"headlight switch", but doesn't say which terminal on the headlight
switch.
>Why does the turn signal mechanism have to be connected to the headling

>switch if the turn signal mechanism on the column has its own power
source
>and separate wiring to the separate turn signal lamps? Where should
the blue
>wire from the turn signal mechanism on the column go? If to the
headlight
>switch, which terminal on the headlight switch?
>
>Finally, I went to the local auto parts store to buy a new flasher
unit, and
>all the turn signal flasher units on display had three terminals.
None of the
>flasher units came with installation instructions, and the one I
bought "for
>light trucks" has three terminals marked "P", "L", and "X". My GUESS
is a
>hot wire from the fuse block goes to the "P" (Power?) terminal on
the flasher
>unit; the "L" (Lamp?) terminal is for a wire that goes to either
the red or
>the black wire from the turn signal mechanism on the column. As
to the "X"
>terminal on the flasher, does this go to ground, or to the turn signal
>mechanism somewhere?
>
>Regarding the flasher unit, the "How to wire your Streetrod" booklet
shows a
>two-terminal flasher unit with a black wire going from the turn signal
>mechanism on the column to the flasher unit and a black wire from
the other
>flasher unit terminal going to the fuse block. But it doesn't specify
the
>terminal on the flasher unit. Since this booklet only shows a two-
terminal
>flasher unit, it may not make any difference which terminal is connected
>the wire coming from the turn signal unit on the column and which
flasher
>terminal goes to the fuse block.
>
>Given time I can probably figure it out by trial and error, but
I'd very much