Re: [oletrucks] Corvette IFS vs. Mustang

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Corvette IFS vs. Mustang
From: Josh Keady <keady84@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 13:09:47 -0700
I can chime in a little on this and say, yes, the Corvette suspension is
crafted generally better than the Mustang's IRS.  The benefit I can see with
the Mustang IRS is cost.  The overall design of the Cobra's setup is taken
roughly from the MN-12 platform (89-97 Thunderbird, 93-98 Mark VIII) and as
such, you can usually find SOME parts on the cheap.  The pumpkin, for
example, is the same 8.8 inch unit found in the MN12 (aluminum in the Mark
VIII and Cobra, cast iron in the Thunderbird.)

If you're really wanting to go all out, certainly the Corvette rear is the
way to go, but if you're looking for the cool-factor of IRS without breaking
the bank, the Mustang setup could work too.  That said, if you don't plan on
putting much load on the back, there is the MN12 IRS too, plenty of V8
Thunderbirds and Mark VIIIs out there ready for plucking.

Good luck on it,

Josh