Re: [oletrucks] OT Olds Tornado

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] OT Olds Tornado
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:09:51 -0500
Starting around 66 or 67, Olds made the front drive Tornado (pronounced
"Tornahdo" with a short a).  This was a full size for the day coupe
similar in size to Buick's Riviera.  They had big V8 engines and
trannys.  The engine was mounted front to back and the tranny was
tucked in along side it.  I think a chain drive connected the two.

I remember pictures from the era showing these cars towing a big
travel trailer with a load leveling hitch and the rear wheels removed,
just as a demonstration.

I think Olds made these until around 1980.

No real advantage to it other than with that big v8 engine and tranny
over the drive wheels it was a good snow car.

Now you know as much about it as I do.

Bruce K
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN