Re: [oletrucks] Master Cylinder

To: "Michael E. Mendonça" <mm@service-quality.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Master Cylinder
From: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:12:41 -0700
If by bolt on you mean something that can be done without welding or machine
work, I did it and described the process on my web site (www.oldsub.com).

The stock master cylinder on your truck mounts under the floor using bolts
through the side of the master and through a bracket on the frame.

Most dual master cylinders (could be all?) were made after it became common
to mount the master cylinder on the firewall using holes on the end of the
master cylinder.  So an adapter bracket of some sort is going to be required
in most cases.

You'll want a master that was designed for a vehicle with the same
combination of disks or drums that your truck has.  If you have drums front
and rear you may need to look for an older master cylinder.

The next complication is that if your 54 is the same as my 55 1st (mine
matches the drawings in the '54 assembly manual), which I took apart last
fall, the stock master has a dual outlet fitting.  But one of those is for
just the left front.  The other is run under the bellhousing to a T-fitting.
>From that T it goes to the right front, and to the flex house for the rear
brakes.  So while changing your brake lines can be a bolt on operation, it
is a required part of the process.

I put the dual master on because I converted to disk brakes on the front.  I
think the master cylinder and new brake lines were far more work and trouble
than the disks and calipers...

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com
'54 Chevrolet 3100