Re: [oletrucks] Hello, Lisa

To: "jrdorsey" <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Hello, Lisa
From: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 12:39:16 -0700
John based on your picture taken in 1960 (from your site) you and I must be
about the same age.  You did a good job sorting out the options.

I used a kit to put disk brakes on the front of my '55 1st Suburban.  The
improvement in braking is fantastic. Body roll is still scary, since I've
still got the beam axle up front, and even with the sway bar, it does make
one take corners with a little more caution.

I've cleaned and greased everything in the suspension, but have not replaced
tie-rod ends, drag link or shackles.  With that as context I find the stock
suspension very harsh.  I'm sure I could improve it if I replaced a few
hundred dollars worth of parts and put Teflon between the springs, but it
would still lean hard in corners and require strong arms in parking lots.

Based on my experience with the suburban I'm putting a subframe on my '54
pickup.  I want it to drive like a car, and car suspension from a car with
similar wheel base, track width and GVW seems like the easiest way to get
there.  I'm paying a guy with experience modifying frames to put it together
for me.

Once the pickup is ready to drive daily I plan to use the Chevy pickup IFS
to update the suburban. I want it to handle better, ride better, and have a
GVW rating that will allow me to pull a trailer with something like a pickup
on it.

I think its very important to think through intended use before choosing an
approach to modernizing suspension and that having thought it through the
solution that one guy loves might not work at all for the next guy (or gal).

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com