Re: [oletrucks] Original Radio hook up to 12 volt?

To: Karen.Duff@ctbrad.ang.af.mil, old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Original Radio hook up to 12 volt?
From: "Durwood B. Darbin" <dhckdkcsk@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 12:42:11 -0600
Karen,
Do you have a working radio?  If so then (1.) that is good.  If not then
(2.) that is not good and you must get to (1.)  When (1.) is achieved then
you must hook it up to 6VDC (whether it be from a 6 volt battery or a
charger or stepped down from a 12 volt battery) and observe polarity.
Polarity is important because if you reverse the polarity then the radio
will suck up all the sound instead of putting out sound. ;-)  Unless it has
been rebuilt then I doubt that it will turn on but if it does then that is
really good and all you have to do is put it in your truck and listen to
that good ole AM. :(  If you need the radio rebuilt then order the parts
(tubes, speaker, tuner, wires and other stuff) from one of the vendors and
have at it, but remember that  the tube stuff usually has a step up
transformer and the radio may have 112VAC on the tubes and that can bite
you, so be careful. If you are not comfortable with rebuilding a radio then
get it rebuilt locally or contact some of the list members that do it.
Durwood
51 Chevy 1/2 ton Deluxe 5 window