Re: [oletrucks] OT - Rat Motor

To: "Majordomo" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] OT - Rat Motor
From: "K. M. Lehmann" <klehmann@bentonrea.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 14:07:49 -0700
HI
You made me realize I'm in my 60's. I was a Drag Racer starting in the
50's,60's and early 70's. The small block got its nickname in the late 50's
I believe, because of its high horsepower out and small displacement. The
name never stuck until Chev Came out with 348 in 1958. I've been told the
term "Rat" started because of the Ratical Design of the big block heads.
True or not it sounds good. When we started calling the BB "Rat" the mouse
motor nick name became more predominate. After racing 6's afew years I
bought '55 Chev, late in the year, to try and run a V/8. I remember being
told don't sell your 6 because that little Chev V/ 8 will never make it.
Lee