[oletrucks] Rocker arms & Grinding marbles?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [oletrucks] Rocker arms & Grinding marbles?
From: "Durwood B. Darbin" <dhckdkcsk@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 22:29:10 -0600
Hey list,

My rocker arms were not getting any oil.  One of the head bolts that has a
small hole in the bottom normally lets oil get to the rocker arms but the
hole was plugged with what appeared to be carbon.  Anyhoo, I squirted the
arms with oil to wash out the iron filings and changed the oil and filter.
I ran the engine about 50 miles and changed the oil and filter again because
it really black.  Then I added 1/2 quart of ATF to the new oil and ran it
another 50 miles and changed the oil again.  It wasn't as black this time
but still pretty dirty.  Now the engine has good clean oil in it and a new
filter but now I intermittently hear something that sounds like grinding
marbles and knocking coming from the engine.  It is not a joyful sound, in
fact it is quite irritating as well as worrisome.  The sound only lasts for
a second or two and goes away only to return 15 - 30 miles later.  The
engine runs fine during the noise.  I did notice that I have some 'green
springs' and 'red springs' on the head if that makes any difference.  Why
would the engine run fine with no oil going to the rocker arms and act up
when it has oil to the rocker arms?  I'm perplexed.  Please help.

Durwood
51 Chevy 1/2 ton Deluxe 5 window