Re: [oletrucks] hot time

To: wroworth@tampabay.rr.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] hot time
From: "K Ohlgren" <kjohlgren@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 03:45:56 +0000
Wayne
I owned a 56 chevy schoolbus/camper that the PO had put a 396 under the
hood. the motor started and ran fine, but within 5min the temp was @ 220.
Shut it down and it would peg the gauge. I put a mechanical temp gauge on
it, which confirmed the 220 temp. The temp would climb to 240 on the
shortest of drives, then -- flush - no help, new waterpump - no help, 6
blade flex fan - no help, recored the radiator - pricey, but - no help.
Fortunately the bus ran like a champ, 396, 4 spd trans w/granny gear & a 2
speed rearend (vacume). I figured that there was something causing a low
flow situation around where the temp gauge read. Believe it or not, cruising
speed was 75mph, I was young and foolish and pushed it up there as often as
possible. Once in the middle of August, while headed to Edwards Air Force
base to watch the space shuttle land, an awesome sight, there is a looonngg
climb out of the valley, the temp gauge pushed past 260. At this point I
figured it would take it or blow. Like I said, young & foolish. It didn't
blow, I never looked at the temp gauge again, again young & foolish. I put a
lot of miles on that bus, had it in Mexico, Canada, the Keys and all points
inbetween.
I sold the bus. The mechanic that had helped me to look for a cure for the
high temp 396 called me. It seems that the new owner had blown a head
gasket, they pulled the heads off and found that the holes in the head
gasket, that restrict the flow in the water jacket were rusted oversize.
This had created a low flow condition in the back of the motor, thus causing
the temp to climb in an isolated part of the block. 1 set of head gaskets
and it ran at 185. end of story
If this helps, use it.
Kurt
still young, but not so foolish