Re: [oletrucks] Electrical Questions - horn and gas gauge

To: "Majordomo" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Electrical Questions - horn and gas gauge
From: "K. M. Lehmann" <klehmann@bentonrea.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:08:30 -0700
Hi all
Most gas gauge problems are with the sending unit, the gage itself will work
on either 12 or 6 volts , but will be super sensitive on 12v because it
operates by a magnetic field. The resister will calm the gage needle down,
but straight 12v shouldn't smoke the gage. My '46 has been operating on 12v
for over 10 years on 12v without a resister. I put a resister on my '54 only
after I wired everything up to get it working, it had a bad sending unit
plus a bad float.
Lee