Re: [oletrucks] starting up after it's been sitting

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] starting up after it's been sitting
From: ke6bnl@juno.com
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:59:54 -0700
I was given a 63 Ford Econoline 5 Window pu, sat for some 14 years.  I
did put oil in each cylinder and then I turned it over by hand checked
for spark (open and closed points manually) changed fuel and oil and
checked water.  I then took the dist out a pumped up the oil pump with a
drill till the pressure light went out and put gas in the carb bowl vent
and it fired up.  The problem began after getting it started brakes,
trans leak engine leaks, dirt gas tank, and 3 months of pressure
blowing(water and air together) out the radiator and engine to get rid of
rust.  This is 2 years later and 45,0000 miles later and one head gasket
and one of the most dependable cars in our fleet.  Ed ke6bnl

Hope someday to say the same thing for my 53 chevy 3100 and my 50
Fooooord F1.  Both with lots to go. Ed ke6bnl

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:21:58 -0600 tim <lloydt@Colorado.EDU> writes:
> Well, I may be about ready to start Peanut back up tonight, after
> many
> months of dinking around with the fuel system (see
> http://54peanut.blogspot.com for my wordy chronicle of that saga).
> Do
> I need to do something special before starting the engine, like
> crank
> it without the spark plugs in to spread the oil around?  I've
> already
> recharged the battery, changed the oil, and flushed and re-filled
> the
> radiator.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim Lloyd, lloydt@colorado.edu
> 1954 Chevy 3100 Pickup "Peanut"
> 1954 Chevy 3100 Panel "Being paid for"
> 1959

   Ed     ke6bnl@juno.com                     ( 1950 f1 & 1963econo pu

      Agua Dulce Ca.    91390                    70 chevy S/B)  1948 Ford
F3
      So.   Calif. 70 mil N.Eof Los Angeles   1953 Chevy pu 3100)