Re: [oletrucks] Amphibious AD

To: "Ryan Sain" <rsain@gte.net>, "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Amphibious AD
From: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:02:05 -0700
I was stationed in Key West for abt 4 years. We had two sets of navy divers
there, plus the Underwater Swimmers School. Everytime a new diver checked
in, he was taken for an underwater tour of the waters around Key West. He
was ALWAYS taken to one particular spot. The veteran diver would be in the
lead. The newbee would see tire tracks on the bottom, and try (and fail!) to
get the attention of the other diver. After they were back on dry land, he
would be told how they were made. The navy was experimenting with deep sea
recovery vehicles (minisubs) and had bow and stern thrusters rigged on a
target sub (I guess 50' long) with a set of wheels located amidships (in the
middle, to all you untrained non-scabies), and the target subs could turn in
their own length . I did a little scuba diving there, and seeing a set of
tireprints wandering along the bottom of a bay, in 20-50' of water is VERY
spooky! Bob K in PHX