Re: [oletrucks] 12 volt adj

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 12 volt adj
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:32:10 -0500
Not to worry.  14.5 volts is normal for charging a 12 volt system.
The battery with no load measures right around 12.8 volts.  It
takes a volt or two over the no load battery voltage to start current
flowing backwards through the battery to charge it.  The actual voltage
will vary slightly with temperature.  The alternator and voltage
regulator will vary the output current to maintain 14.5 volts on
the system up to the point where the alternator can't keep up any
more.

Bruce K
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

At Monday, 18 August 2003, you wrote:

>Members,
>
>I have a newer alternator on my 51 pickup, it is the correct GM
unit that was
>used with my 305 from the late 70's (not a one wire).  Anyway, I
built my own
>wiring harness hooked up everything and now I'm reading 14.5 volts
as output.

>I understand this can be a problem.  I have never driven the truck
so no
>damage yet or history on how it works.  But before I blow anything
I was