[oletrucks] 1955 1st series rear end

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 1955 1st series rear end
From: "William Schickling" <wschick1@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:58:21 -0400
List,

I am sitting at home scratching my head a little. I'm sure a shop manual or
something would provide the answers, but I don't have a shop manual for
this.

I am switching my 1940 to open drive and have a 1955 1st series rear end to
replace my 1940. The question I have is how does this rear end attach to the
rear springs?  The 1940 has a very cool spring perch that completely
surrounds the axle tube, and has the rubber bump stop held on under the
u-bolt, and the u-bolts run up and over this perch/saddle to hold the axle
in place on the spring.

The 1955 axle has a perch welded to the bottom of the axle tube. Are the
u-bolts only supposed to go up and over this perch? Is that why the 1955
u-bolts are squared off instead of round like the 1940?

On the 1955 is there a rubber bumper on the axle or is it attached to the
frame?

I have the 1940 half ton down to a bare frame. The rebuild starts in the
next week or two.

Thanks,

Bill Schickling