[oletrucks] sloshing.....

To: "'Ole Trucks'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] sloshing.....
From: "AKBurke" <akburke@fiberpipe.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 22:12:05 -0600
...so I was having this sloshing problem with my '49 AD....expensive gas
coming out all over my paint and runningboard...the truck is on a Panel
frame and uses the Panel's tank with filler neck low on the passenger bed
side (it's a pain to fill too).

My thought was to replace the vented cap with a sealed one and run a tube
off the (modified) filler neck up under the rear fender somewhere to vent
the tank.

My local NAPA didn't have a non-vented cap but we did manage to find one
that fits (#703-1060) that says "Vacuum Pressure Type -- For use with
Emissions Control".  It was very hard to force any air through the cap...not
so with the original vented cap.

I cleaned the runningboard splash apron, put on the new cap, and ran down
the road...waiting for either the tank to crumple under the vacuum, or the
truck to starve....niether happened, and no new gas on the paint job. Do you
think that this new filler cap is allowing air into the tank as needed, or
that I have a leak (perhaps at the sending unit gasket)

thoughts??
-A