[oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #2061

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #2061
From: Ed Miller <enigmaT120@highstream.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:51:12 -0700
Nice truck.  The 348 is a big block that was available in '58, tho
mostly for big trucks.  I don't know if yours is original or not.  Are
the motor mounts bolted onto the frame or riveted?  That's how I found
out my 283 wasn't original; the original mounts would have been riveted.
 You're right, the hole for the foot starter is evidence that your truck
started life with a 235 6 cylinder, as did mine.  I don't know anything
about the desirability of the 348, but NAPA or somebody else probably
can get rebuild kits.  Do you really need one?

I don't know what trucks had dual rear wheels, but a "3200" would be a
half ton long bed.  A 1 ton would have "3800" emblems.  OK, I'm pretty
sure half tons don't have duallies....  How many lug bolts do you have,
front and/or rear?

The first gear is for starting out with heavy loads.  I even use mine in
my half ton sometimes, but if the truck is empty you can usually start
out in second gear.  I think that's a good tranny.

Sounds like you are going to have fun with it, anyway!  Good luck,
Ed Miller
'58 Apache Short Fleetside