[oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #2077

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #2077
From: ZapBeeblebrox@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 13:52:47 EDT
In a message dated 10/12/2003 6:22:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-ole-trucks@autox.team.net writes:

> Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 08:31:15 -0400
> From: "Dingo" <Dingo@centurytel.net>
> Subject: Fw: [oletrucks] have you ever
>
> >A roll pan makes it's strength from it's shape...the roll. A rolled piece
> of
> >paper, even a half roll, is stronger than a flat paper. Translates to
> steel
> >too. A roll pan usually has an inner bead across the bottom and top, sides
> >too. Call it a flange if you will, for bolting/welding purposes. This
> gives
> >the panel it's strength.
> >  I read long ago, to drill the holes for exhaust pipes once the panel is
> in
> >place, bolted in. Then drill/cut holes thru panel, either notching it or a
> >round hole for pipe(s). THEN take vehicle to dependable muffler shop to
> >route exhaust thru hole, centering pipe in opening. Pipe should be very
> >firmly mounted to chassis to prevent bumping up against roll pan and
> ruining
> >finish. Lots of trial and error involved here......hope this helps.
> >
> >Ed in Mich
> >'57 3100

Take it from a guy who's been there, done that - in a roundabout way. Before
you cut or drill into your pan, take it to the place that's going to be
installing your exhaust system, and make sure they can run the exhaust to the
area
you want it to exit. If there's something in the way that prevents them from
running your exhaust to one of the holes you've already drilled, you not only
get to try again with the drilling, but you get to practice hole patching.

Saw a buddy spend a lot of time and money sculpting both rocker panels for
exhaust exits on a F&@d pick up once, only to find out later that his reserve
gas tank was in the way, and the dual exhaust had to be routed over to the
passenger's side to clear it. He ended up with the beautifly sculpted exhaust
exits
on the passenger's side only, and undoing all the work on the driver's side.