Re: [oletrucks] patch panel help

To: <fiofam83@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] patch panel help
From: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 13:33:37 -0800
I have a 55 1st Suburban with similar problems.  There was a guy
hand-forming repair panels to fit the AD trucks, and he says he no longer
does it, and has no more left.

For the panel between the door and the fender it appears a door repair panel
will be close enough to fix mine.  I've got a pair of otherwise scrap doors
I plan to cut up to try this with.

My fenders appear to be the same as pickup fenders until the line where they
meet the body.  I'm planning on going low and wide with my truck, so I plan
to cut the flange that attaches the fenders to the body off the existing
fenders, and then graft on pickup fenders, adding a couple of inches on each
side.  Then, in part to smooth the look, and in part to deal with some of
the complex metal shaping issues, I intend to mold the fenders into the
body.

My inner fenders are pretty bad, above and around the area that is 'tubbed'.
It has rusted all the way through in a number of places.  I managed to find
those panels available cut out of another truck by a guy who parts out
trucks he finds in dry areas.  Including shipping I got both panels for less
than $200.

The exterior panels aft of the fenders are still a problem, and as yet I've
not figured out what to do about it.  I'm thinking it may to time to learn
how to use an english wheel....

I've not offered any real solutions for you, but maybe my story will help
you find a solution to your rust problems...