Re: [oletrucks] Off topic swap

To: "Spencer" <wits_end@worldnet.att.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Off topic swap
From: "Gary R. Schwarzrock" <gschwarz@airtimeisp.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:44:29 -0700
I'm in the middle of the same type of swap.  You don't have to be concerned
with the olds engines as the 6.2 diesel is based on a chevy block.  The 350
chev will drop right in, the trany will bolt right up (I have been told that
I should have changed the torque converter for one out of a trany behind a
gas engine ,I guess that I'll find out when I get it running), the exhaust
bolted right up on mine (the "buttefly valve" in the exhaust is on the left
side on the diesel and the right side on the gas), there is a fuel filter on
the firewall by the heater that can be eliminated.
  The only thing that is giving me a headache right now is the power
steering. The 1982 half ton 2 wheel drive that I have used a brake booster
hooked into the power steering as the diesel doesn't have vacuum.  I'm
assuming the pickup you are involved with is the same.  the mounting
brackets off the diesel won't fit on the 350 so I'm in "scrounge" mode right
now.
   There are still probably more glitches that I will run into, but I have a
good friend that is more than just an average mechanic that he will  give me
a hand when I get the "grunt" work done. Carburation and ignition work have
never been my strong suit, especially when you have to start mixing and
improvising to get things to work.
  So as you can see, it is not a complete slam dunk affair but it should be
a workable swap.
  If your friend decides to try it, contact me and I will pass on any info I
can.

Gary Schwarzrock
Plentywood, MT
1954 chev 3100