Re: [oletrucks] disc

To: <zigga50@att.net>, "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] disc
From: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:31:41 -0800
I bought the ChevyDuty kit and while I remember spending money on stuff, I
don't remember thinking the kit was incomplete.  I know it had the bearing
adapters and seals.  When I was shopping kits I was also taking a '73
Chevelle apart, so that seemed the right place to start.  Then I bought new
rotors and calipers instead of using the old parts off the car.  I have the
rear from the '73 Chevelle under mine, and liked the idea of having all the
brake parts match.

I painted the brackets before installing them.  I was installing on a '55
1st GMC.  The instructions said that the provided hardware for attaching the
brackets were 7/16ths (I could be wrong on that number) but some trucks
would require larger bolts (1/2 if the other was 7/16ths).  I ended up
buying a bunch of grade 8 bolts, washers and nylock nuts.  I also used lots
of Locktite.

Heat the bearing adapters good and hot before trying to put them on.

I didn't like the way the caliper brackets fit, and ended up putting a
washer between the spindle and the bracket to get the caliper to center
right.  I don't know if that was a GMC issue or a problem with the kit.
Since mine required the bigger bolts, and is a GMC, I wondered if the kits
were more appropriate for a Chevrolet.

The passenger side brake hose was pulled too tight using the original
bracket.  I cut and bent a piece of strap, drilled some holes in it, and
used that to position the junction between the steel line and the brake hose
better.  I used the '73 Chevelle brake hoses, and perhaps could have just
purchased longer lines, but didn't know how to ask for them and fixing the
bracket was easy.

I also converted to a dual master cylinder at the same time.  I bought the
bracket from ChevyDuty and used a '73 Chevelle master cylinder and the
proportioning valve from the Chevelle.  I also bought both a 2 pound and a
10 pound residual valve because the master  cylinder is mounted lower than
the calipers.

If you poke around on my web site I wrote up the whole thing at the time,
and there might be some details there if you are interested.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com