[oletrucks] RE: oletrucks-digest V2 #2161

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] RE: oletrucks-digest V2 #2161
From: "R.D. Hulst" <rdhulst@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 21:18:56 -0600
>anybody know how I could find disc brakes and roller bearings that would
accept the heavier 8 lug "dually" style wheel?
Thanks,
Dean

Dean,

I went through the same exercise and couldn't find any kits to fit.  There
is an old posting on here about someone using the front axle from a Chevy
Camper Special that might help you somewhat.  I' also seem to remember
reading that the disc brake components from a from an early 80's C20 pickup
can be mounted to the 3600 axle, but don't hold me to that!!

In my case, I didn't plan on using my truck for heavy hauling, so I went
ahead and bought a 1/2 ton conversion kit and went through several steps to
get it to work.

I had to buy inner bearings with a larger ID than provided in the kit, and
then still had to have the spindle turned down just a little bit where the
spacer and bearing slide on.  The spacer also underwent some machining to
get the ID right.

The kit came with a 5 lug set-up. I'll either buy or have made 2 adapters to
get back to the 8 lug set-up.  I think AIM Industries makes several standard
adaptors, and would make new ones for you when given the specs.  The adapter
shouldn't cause too much issue with tire size since the disc brakes bring
the wheel spacing in somewhat, and there are many options in terms of wheel
back spacing.

Hope this helps!

R.D. Hulst
A Canuck in KY with a '51 3600 in slightly less than a ka-gillion pieces