Re: [oletrucks] routing heat hose on a SBC

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] routing heat hose on a SBC
From: bigfred@unm.edu
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:46:57 -0700
Jim,
thanks for the response, I've got more questions and responses to your
questions below.

> If you're using the 69-newer (car) long water pump, the alternator
> pretty much as to go where it is (assuming you have all the correct
> brackets).  I've never noticed a problem with routing the hose, but
> it
> might be that you have a strange intake manifold that has the outlet
> in
> an odd place?  Although there were two different designs for the top
> bracket, if I recall right the early one bolts to one of the
> thermostat
> housing bolts, and the later one bolts to an intake manifold bolt.
> I've
> also seen replacement chinese chrome brackets that are rather slender
> and might make it look better to you.

-- I guess I'm using the long water pump because I got a pump for
a '75 camero.  So I guess mounting the pump on the drvr side is out,
unless I start changing all kinds of pulleys?
My bracket is the older type that bolts to the thermostat housing. I
don't really see how it would ever be easy to route a hose under this
thing with the alternator there. When I bought the truck there was a
short hose fitting and the hose was pinched by the alternator. I put a
slightly longer fitting in the head because the old one was all crusty.

> > What vehicles could I steal brackets from? Or maybe there's a
> better
> > way to attach the heater hose?
> You could run the heater hose from the passenger side head, between
> the
> last two exhaust ports, if there's room for a fitting wiht the
> manifolds/headers you're using.  There's a threaded plug on the head
> there.

-- This is interesting to me! Does anyone else out there do this?
There is also another fitting ontop of the intake near the t-stat
housing.  Currently, I have a temp gauge there. Maybe I could just put
a hose fitting there?
This is the return hose, right? so I guess it doesn't really matter
where the coolant comes back in, right?
Any comments about this idea?
thanks
-alfredo