Re: [oletrucks] 55-59 Suburban spare tire mount

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 55-59 Suburban spare tire mount
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 06:59:27 -0700
> For anyone that has a 55-59 Suburban out there, how does the spare tire mount
>and, if
> under the rear frame, how can it be set up to keep the spare tire carrier and
>install a
> receiver hitch.  My 58 doesn't have any visible mounting hardware for the
>spare either
> on the inside in the back or under the frame.

Mark--

That's the problem with Suburbans, there just isn't room for
everything...

My 57 suburban didn't have a spare mounted, but I believe it
would have been under the rear, right in the way of putting
on a reciever.

My 66 Suburban did have a spare tire in it, mounted by a PO
inside the rear, on the drivers side against the side, using
a long 1/2" threaded rod.  I plan on using this technique in
the 57.  Reinforcing the body where the rod mounts would be
a good idea.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!