Re: [oletrucks] transmission stuff

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] transmission stuff
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 18:48:54 -0700
> Last year I swapped a 327/granny from a 66 1/2 ton into my 57 in place of the
> original 235/granny4.  The trans doesn't shift very well, synchros are worn,
> so I picked up a granny 4 out of a 79 3/4 ton the other day.  It appears to be
> the same, with the exception of an added mount on the back.

It's a tempting swap, but you might run into some
problems...I did put a big SM465 in a 65 GMC I had years
ago.  The 465 is a bigger tranny than the 420 that you have
now, and it won't fit into the early style bellhousing on
your 327.  You'll want to find a bellhousing from a 68-72
pickup, with the big hole in it.  Also the tranny may not
clear the bellhousing crossmember, and the driveshaft might
be too long.  I might have a bellhousing if you can't find
one, and you want to go thru with the swap.

> I pulled the
> cover and all looks good inside, but I'm wondering about the shifter handle.
> I would like to use the handle off of the one in my truck now.  Question is,
> how do I remove it?  There's a pin at the outside of the case, if I drive out
> that pin, will the handle come free, or do I need to take apart the shift
> linkage on the inside of the case?

You should be able to remove the shift lever from the top
cover by twisting the retaining ring counter clockwise about
1/8 of a turn.  You'll have to press down on it, it's spring
loaded.  Usually big water pump pliers (Channel Locks) work
for this.  The retaining ring is a stamped steel part that
fits around the pivot ball where the shift lever enters the
top cover.

The lever won't interchange with the early tranny, IIRC.  I
suppose I could go out in the shed and pull the lever out of
the 465 I have and compare it to a 420 lever...but you could
do that too.

Hope this info helps save you some grief!

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
http://www.mindspring.com/~jforbes2