Re: [oletrucks] (NON-TRUCK QUESTION).. .How ignition works?

To: Steve@OldSub.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] (NON-TRUCK QUESTION).. .How ignition works?
From: rnwagner@juno.com
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:59:59 -0600
You guys are confusing me. If you have a six cylinder engine the coil
will fire every 60 degrees of crankshaft revolution. A v8 every 45
degrees of crank revolution. The little bumps on the distributor
rotor/cam is what is determining that interval. Hopefully if everything
has been put together right the fire will only come at TDC (or near to
it) of the compression stoke for a given cylinder and at no other time.
Am I missing something more complex than this process?