[oletrucks] Car/truck shows (classes, etc)

To: ole trucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Car/truck shows (classes, etc)
From: Jon Dalton <novawagonmaster@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 15:11:12 -0800 (PST)
Hi gang,

I help out with a car show every July. The show has
grown from 100 cars the first year (about 10 years
ago) to well over 600 cars last year. We have done the
awards, classes, and judging the same every year.
Everyone who shows up knows what to expect, and it is
more a friendly gathering than a competition (as most
shows should be since they are often a "cruise-in"
with a registration booth).

We have one class...enthusiasts. Each entrant gets a
voting card when they register. Each entrant votes for
his/her favorite 10 cars (by using the assigned number
on the placard which gets displayed on each
windshield). Once all votes have been cast, the top
vote getter gets the "Best of Show" tropy. The next 6
get first place trophies, the next 6 get 2nd, and the
next 6 get 3rd. The last trophy is for "Chairman's
Choice", and I get to pick that one each year. I have
never picked (or not picked) because of the owner. I
have picked everyhting from a bone-stock low mileage
'62 Chevy 409 4-speed, to a lifted Jeep CJ5 on 44"
tires with a blown big block Chevy and wild paint, to
a perfectly executed reproduction of an old Dodge
Polara cop-car. I try to find cars that are obviously
well taken care of (often see a dirty car at a
"show"!), not tacky (cherry bombs hanging off headers
with no exhaust, a whole pile of speed stickers,
wheels and tires that just "don't fit", etc). We
always get a couple whiners, but I have learned that
you definitely cannot please everybody.

Have FUN this summer!!!
Jonboy