Re: [oletrucks] front brake drums

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] front brake drums
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:29:44 -0700
> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 07:15:28 -0400
> From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
> Subject: [oletrucks] front brake drums
>
> I need to replace the front brake drums on my 56, finally discovered a
> vibration problem that has evaded me a while. While doing some brake work I
> noticed that when I spin the drum and when it almost stop, there is a heavy
> spot on it and its out of balance. This caused severe cupping in the
> affected tire and it needs replacing also. Question is, NAPA sells the
> brake drums as do most vendors, but comes without the bearing housing that
> comes off attached to the drum when you pull them off. Is this housing
> transferable from one brake drum to another?     --wayne

Wayne--

The drums were held to the hubs with rivets originally,
sometimes they've been replaced and just come off, on more
original trucks you need to drill or grind the heads off and
drive out the rivets.  The studs should not be holding the
drums to the hubs on these trucks (they do on other brands
of cars and trucks), so don't press the studs out unless
you're sure you need to.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum at it's new home!
http://www.selectric.org