[oletrucks] Steering Box Woes

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Steering Box Woes
From: Leon Corley <lcorley@ticnet.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 06:15:55 -0500
I was preparing to replace my tie rod ends on my 53 3100.
But when I got the truck in the air I discovered that most of my slack
appears to be the pitman shaft.
So I need some advice from those who have been there before.
The service manual made it sound scary.
Do I really need special tool J-1614 to drive out the pitman arm bushing?
Can I just use the new bushing to press out the old one?
Where can I find new pitman shaft packing material?
Or am I better off  shucking out the $250 for a rebuilt steering box?

Thanks for any input.

regards,
Leon