[oletrucks] Drag Link

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Drag Link
From: "William Schickling" <wschick1@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:55:20 -0400
I wanted to thank everyone that gave me help on trying to get a drag link
for my project.

Bill Hanlon's suggestion of finding a knowledgeable person at my FLAPS was a
good one. My local NAPA has a couple of good guys and they found one of my
choices in their system. A drag link that fits 53 and 54 Chevy 1/2 ton
trucks. I ended up not going that way because on my 1940 the drag link hooks
to the pitman arm from the inside and on those trucks it attaches to the
pitman arm on the outside. I thought the angle was too much at the extremes.

What I ended up doing was buying a tie rod tapered reamer from Gary
Forney(XKUT)on ebay. I needed this to cut the taper on my pitman arm to
replace the old ball. This allows me to keep my complete steering box and
pitman arm original and to cut the taper to fit a modern tie rod end. I
would have needed this no matter what my solution was. The reamer was
$29.00. I had one shop quote me $75.00 to cut the taper in my pitman arm.

Then I ordered a tie rod tube and one large tie rod and one small tie rod
end from this web site I found on a jeep or bronco rock climber web site. I
suggest you check this site out. It has some great stuff on it if you are
making components from scratch or you are a dirt track\stock car builder.

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/

This setup cost me $51.00 with shipping. $20.00 to $30.00 cheaper than a
stock drag link from the regular sources or NAPA and about $200.00 - $300.00
cheaper than some of the custom drag links that a few people quoted me.

If you want to see my drag link go here:

http://home.twcny.rr.com/schickling/1940Chevy/rebuild3.html

Thanks again.

Bill Schickling