[oletrucks] steering box

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] steering box
From: Leon Corley <lcorley@ticnet.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 06:00:06 -0500
I got the new bushings installed in my 53 3100 steering box.
The bushing set came from Jim Carter.
I bought a bushing driver kit from thetoolwarehouse.net, an OTC #4505,
for ~$20.
The pitman arm side bushing was very easy.
The cap side was a little harder.
I used a chisel to cut out the old bushing.
The replacement bushing was about 1/4 too long.
I drove it in until it was almost seated, cut off the excess with a
hacksaw, cleaned up the edge, and then drove it home.

Now my quandary is what grease to use in the box.
According to the local Chevy dealer, GM has discontinued the #1052182
lube that is recommended on out tech page.
Does anyone have a suggestion for something better than the thickest
gear oil I can find?

Thanks,
Leon