Re: [oletrucks] 235 engine

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 235 engine
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 09:06:21 -0700
> Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 21:40:32 -0500
> From: "mark treutelaar" <phoneman@ticon.net>
> Subject: [oletrucks] 235 engine
>
> Hi I have a 235 engine in my 55 2nd series truck . My question is about the
> engine breather. Should these ever be replaced ? Serviced ?    I get a little
> smoke out of it -Does that mean the engine needs overhauling ? Just curious
> Thanks Mark

In addition to what Wayne said, some smoke from the breather
on an old engine is normal.  Newer engines have positive
crankcase ventilation, which pulls crankcase vapors (smoke)
into the intake manifold and burns it.  But the old truck
engines have a draft tube instead, which pulls vapors out of
the crankcase when you're driving, but not when you're
sitting idling.  The vapors have to go somewhere, so they
come out the breather.

So, don't worry about it.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum at it's new home!
http://www.selectric.org