[oletrucks] Distributor Upgrades & Spark Plugs

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Distributor Upgrades & Spark Plugs
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:56:15 -0500
I've been reading with interest the thread regarding upgrading distributors
(using Pertronix modules and etc.).  Thought I'd pass along my experience
with distributor upgrades.

Two years ago I upgraded my 'mild' 283 with a new intake (Performer Polished
Aluminium) and new carb (Edelbrock 600 CFM with electric choke).  I was
considering a Pertronix upgrade for my original points & condenser
distributor.  I checked the old distributor shaft, bushings gear and etc
when I removed it for the intake swap.  I looked pretty well worn and I
didn't have alot of room between engine and firewall for an upgrade to a GM
or aftermarket HEI.

I heard good things about the Mallory Unilite distributor.  It was small
(about the same size as an OE distributor), was reliable (pointless) and
required little/no maintenance.  I ordered one with a vacuum advance for
about $200 abd bought the extra module to keep down the EM noise for my
radio.  Also bought a new coil matched to the Unilite.  Finished the upgrade
with new Bosch plug wires.

The instructions were great, installation went very smoothly.  Went to fire
the engine up, no spark!  Called the Mallory help line, they talked me
through the diagnostics and we discovered the main module inside the
distributor was defective.  Mallory gave me a returned goods authorization
number, I called my local vendor and had a new unit in 24 hours.  Installed
the new one and it has worked great ever since.

Because of the higher voltage of the Unilite versus the original, I changed
from R45TS plugs down to R44TS.  Pulled the plugs after the first year on
the road (4,000+ miles) and they looked great.

Things to consider for a distributor upgrade:
1.) Condition of 'old' distributor (shaft/bushing wear, timing advance, coil
and etc.)
2.) Available room in the engine compartment (firewall clearance)
3.) Spark plug and plug wires upgrades

Hope this helps.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup